Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Running/Starting MSDE Server as Power User automatically

I am able to install MSDE as an Administrator. The server will also
start (with the little icon in system tray showing the white circle
with a green play graphic).
I am able to use the server perfectly fine as a user under the
Administration group.
However, when I created a local account under POWER USER group, the
server does not start or connect to any servers.
I have to manually type in my computer's name at which point it will
start.
I have also had trouble installing the server and having it
successfully run under a POWER USER group.
Anyone have any soultions?
Gautam Lad
hi,
"Gautam Lad" <gautam@.hbfenn.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:3a492d07.0501031241.1e0cf675@.posting.google.c om
> I am able to install MSDE as an Administrator. The server will also
> start (with the little icon in system tray showing the white circle
> with a green play graphic).
> I am able to use the server perfectly fine as a user under the
> Administration group.
> However, when I created a local account under POWER USER group, the
> server does not start or connect to any servers.
> I have to manually type in my computer's name at which point it will
> start.
> I have also had trouble installing the server and having it
> successfully run under a POWER USER group.
> Anyone have any soultions?
as SQL Server requires a lot of admin privileges at startup, in order to
register services, install MDAC (if needed) and loo of COM server, the best
way to go is installing it as mmber of admins WinNT role...
as regard running SQL Server, it's services (MSSQLSERVER and SQLSERVERAGENT
for a default instance) usually run under LocalSystem WinNT special account,
but you can run them under any admin member WinNT account, as special
privileges for file system and registry access...
in usual solutions, MSDE is installed from admins and run under their
account (LocalSystem and/or standard WinNT local admin accounts), but WinNT
logged users are (as best practice) traditional non admin users, that's to
say power users or limited users, and you should not see problems this
way... you have to check the account the services are running under...
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
DbaMgr2k ver 0.9.1 - DbaMgr ver 0.55.1
(my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
interface)
-- remove DMO to reply
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment