Wednesday, March 28, 2012

RunningValue in a chart - scope issues

I am working on a straightforward table and chart to present a graph of
cumulative revenue.
My data set returns revenue per month, and Iâ'd like to display a chart that
shows the month by month sum of revenue.
In my table I use the following to create a column with the appropriate
values:
=RunningValue(Fields!Actual_Revenue.Value, Sum, "table1")
In my chart, I have a category group for the â'monthsâ' and a Value set for
â'Cumulative Revenueâ' with the following formula:
=RunningValue(Fields!Actual_Revenue.Value, Sum, "chart1_month")
This returns a chart that is exactly the same as the â'actual_revenueâ' â' i.e.
no running sum. Logically, Iâ'd assume I should expand the scope beyond the
â'monthâ', however I get errors whenever I try to use just â'chart1â' or Nothing
as the scope.
Any thoughts?
SmittyHi Smitty,
a chart is very similar to a matrix. A chart series grouping is equivalent
to a matrix row grouping. What you want in a chart RunningValue is that it
resets on series / rows (rather than on categories / columns - because this
is what you have right now).
RunningValues inside a matrix or a chart cannot use the Nothing scope or a
dataset scope right now. They must use a grouping scope inside the chart.
There are two cases:
(1) the chart does not have any chart data series grouping at all:
Add a new "fake" series grouping, i.e. based on a constant group expression
value, e.g. =1. On the "fake" series grouping, set the grouping label
expression to ="" (i.e. empty string), so that the legend does not show the
fake group. Use the name of this "fake" series grouping for the scope name
of the RunningValue.
(2) the chart already has one or more existing data series groupings:
Follow all the steps described under (1) above. Then apply the following
additional steps:
The "fake" group must be the outermost series group if other groups are
present - i.e. in the chart properties dialog / data tab, the fake group has
to be on the top of the list of series groups (use the arrows to change the
order of groups in the list).
Hope this helps,
-- Robert
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"Smittoid" <Smittoid@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:11ADA552-C14D-403E-8538-56178B8836AE@.microsoft.com...
>I am working on a straightforward table and chart to present a graph of
> cumulative revenue.
>
> My data set returns revenue per month, and I'd like to display a chart
> that
> shows the month by month sum of revenue.
>
> In my table I use the following to create a column with the appropriate
> values:
>
> =RunningValue(Fields!Actual_Revenue.Value, Sum, "table1")
>
> In my chart, I have a category group for the "months" and a Value set for
> "Cumulative Revenue" with the following formula:
>
> =RunningValue(Fields!Actual_Revenue.Value, Sum, "chart1_month")
>
> This returns a chart that is exactly the same as the "actual_revenue" -
> i.e.
> no running sum. Logically, I'd assume I should expand the scope beyond the
> "month", however I get errors whenever I try to use just "chart1" or
> Nothing
> as the scope.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Smitty
>|||BTW: I forgot to mention that only RS 2005 supports the usage of
RunningValue in charts. It is not supported on RS 2000. But in your case,
you are running on RS 2005.
-- Robert
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"Robert Bruckner [MSFT]" <robruc@.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:ObT$SWT0FHA.2652@.TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi Smitty,
> a chart is very similar to a matrix. A chart series grouping is equivalent
> to a matrix row grouping. What you want in a chart RunningValue is that it
> resets on series / rows (rather than on categories / columns - because
> this is what you have right now).
> RunningValues inside a matrix or a chart cannot use the Nothing scope or a
> dataset scope right now. They must use a grouping scope inside the chart.
> There are two cases:
> (1) the chart does not have any chart data series grouping at all:
> Add a new "fake" series grouping, i.e. based on a constant group
> expression value, e.g. =1. On the "fake" series grouping, set the grouping
> label expression to ="" (i.e. empty string), so that the legend does not
> show the fake group. Use the name of this "fake" series grouping for the
> scope name of the RunningValue.
> (2) the chart already has one or more existing data series groupings:
> Follow all the steps described under (1) above. Then apply the following
> additional steps:
> The "fake" group must be the outermost series group if other groups are
> present - i.e. in the chart properties dialog / data tab, the fake group
> has to be on the top of the list of series groups (use the arrows to
> change the order of groups in the list).
>
> Hope this helps,
> -- Robert
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.
>
>
>
> "Smittoid" <Smittoid@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:11ADA552-C14D-403E-8538-56178B8836AE@.microsoft.com...
>>I am working on a straightforward table and chart to present a graph of
>> cumulative revenue.
>>
>> My data set returns revenue per month, and I'd like to display a chart
>> that
>> shows the month by month sum of revenue.
>>
>> In my table I use the following to create a column with the appropriate
>> values:
>>
>> =RunningValue(Fields!Actual_Revenue.Value, Sum, "table1")
>>
>> In my chart, I have a category group for the "months" and a Value set for
>> "Cumulative Revenue" with the following formula:
>>
>> =RunningValue(Fields!Actual_Revenue.Value, Sum, "chart1_month")
>>
>> This returns a chart that is exactly the same as the "actual_revenue" -
>> i.e.
>> no running sum. Logically, I'd assume I should expand the scope beyond
>> the
>> "month", however I get errors whenever I try to use just "chart1" or
>> Nothing
>> as the scope.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Smitty
>

No comments:

Post a Comment